Friday, February 17, 2012

Good Remembrance



As a child, I grew up observing Black History month throughout February each year. I remember admiring diligent remarkable African American men and women who made history even though not only the odds were against them but nothing was in their favor except they were alive. Learning about these movers and shakers and their determination to influence their society, their quest for freedom and to simply be acknowledged was truly intriguing. Their lives invigorated a can do attitude in me to charge forward despite stubborn circumstances.

After moving out on my own, I became swamped with living life and finding my way in a brand new world of adulthood; totally floating through the February’s of each passing year. Now that I have a little one, I am taking the time to make her experience and education on this segment of American history just as exciting and memorable as it was for me as a child.

 So far we have studied Madam CJ Walker. By far she has always been one of my absolute favorite historical personality. Of course I won't ever, ever forget to mention George Washington Carver and the brilliant Charles Drew. Whatever your heritage or background maybe, sharing it with them can be so exciting as you explain how particular historical events have impacted their lives today. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...